Since registering and looking at some of the prices and selection of baby things, I’ve learned a few things. One, most big baby stores have a limited selection and it’s not super design-friendly. Two, if you do have something that is really well designed, it’s usually crazy expensive.
I found maybe 1 or 2 crib sheets that had patterns that I liked but they were over $40. For one piece of fitted sheet, that is downright highway robbery. I think brands get away with it because they know the options out there aren’t great and people will pay top dollar for something they love.
So, after months of going back and forth between settling or splurging, I decided to do what I do and go the DIY route. I bought a full set of sheets in a pattern I loved on clearance for just $9 at Target to use for this project! It’s super easy to make with any fabric, however, and the project is designed to use the exact width of a bolt of fabric from the fabric store, so don’t feel like you have to use a sheet set like I did. I just found a pattern I wanted and couldn’t pass up the price – especially since a full set made me four crib sheets. FOUR!
Here is what you need:
- Two yards of fabric – approx 48″ wide is standard
- Two yards of 1/4″ elastic
- Sewing Machine
Cut an 8″ x 8″ square from each corner of your fabric. I folded mine and cut from two corners at once. Then, fold the two 8″ cut sides of one corner so they align with each other and the face of the fabric is on the inside of the fold.
Pin the 8″ length and sew together. I sewed one straight stitch and overlapped it with a zigzag stitch to hold it tightly. You’ll be pulling on those corners when you’re putting them on the mattress! Repeat this same stitch on all four corners of the mattress.
Next, work around the perimeter of the sheet and iron in just a small lip – about 1/4 inch. This is just so that when you fold your hem up, you don’t have an exposed edge to fray and cause you grief with all of the sheet washing you’ll be doing.
After you iron up that little lip around the edge, fold another 1/2 hem and iron it into place as well. Essentially, you’ll be folding the edge over twice. Then, sew the top edge of your 1/2″ hem. You need to leave a channel for the elastic, so be sure you’re not sewing in the center or bottom of your hem, but at the very top.
Also, be sure to leave a 1-2″ opening in your hem so that you can get your elastic in!
Pin a safety pin to the end of the elastic and thread it through the channel. This is literally the most difficult part of the project. Your sheet will want to bunch up and you need to keep both ends of the elastic out so that you can join them together. Once you get your safety pinned end out of the other side of the channel, secure the two ends together with the sewing machine.
Then, close up your 1-2″ hem opening! And voila! You’re done!
I dragged my feet on this project for a good two months. I’ve said it a thousand times, but I hate sewing, and I’ll take any excuse not to break out the machine. But the idea of creating four sheets for under $9 really spoke to me. Also, as must as I looked around, I couldn’t find a pattern I liked better, so I needed to suck it up and do the work.
It took me about 3 hours to do all four sheets, which wasn’t so bad. I actually was perusing the fabric at the store the other day thinking about making more… so clearly it’s worth the effort!
So there you have it! I told you on Monday when I shared the navy velvet sofa that I had another indigo project, and this is it. We’re really winding down a lot of the smaller projects and amping up to some big reveals! How exciting!